1.15.2007

The icecream man drives through our neighborhood every day. It really is still that warm. The weather people, though, are saying a cold front is about to blow through. You know it's gotta come but how disappointing. I love the warm weather we've been having.
I started my preceptorship yesterday in UAB's ER. I've been thinking I wanted to work in the ER after school but with the lack of experience we've gotten in that area I was unsure of exactly how I would like it. Plus UAB is the only level 1 trauma center in the state (besides children's) so they get EVERYTHING and that has kind of made me nervous all along. So anyway, my shift yesterday was incredible. Far better than I could have thought. My preceptor is an amazing teacher and she's a really great role model as far as having a positive attitude. I couldn't be more pleased.
The pace in the emergency department is so fast it makes my head spin but I love it and I really hope I continue to feel that way. I got to go up to the helicoptor landing pad to help transport a new trauma patient. I'll spare the details (the patient was a mess but was stable) but I responded well. I take note of that only because I had great fear that I would not respond well to trauma.
I was kind of mesmorized with the patient. Once we got down to the trauma bay I didn't want to leave. The flight nurse encouraged me to come closer and removed blankets and such so that I could see the full extent of injuries. Anyone not in the medical field may think I'm a freak but it just feels so good to know I'm where I'm supposed to be. To know that I am going to be able to handle helping people who are fighting for their lives.
Four more months. I can't wait to have an income again:)

3 comments:

Scott said...

Good stuff. Glad that there are people out there like yourself. I totally can't handle that.

ronduh said...

heyyy!!! :)

Just thought I'd stop by....

Anonymous said...

Sounds so cool! And I'm totally jealous of your warm weather! We're freezing to death here!