12.20.2007

For the last 3 1/2 years Jonathan and I have kind of had an ongoing discussion about our goals for the future...what we want to make of our lives. We have said since the day we were married that we would be "an awesome team for God" and as cheesy as that is, it is what we have truly believed. My biggest struggle in being half of this "awesome God team" is that I rarely have the self-confidence to stand up against the world and make the decisions that I need (and want) to make to be the person I want to be.

Over the course of the past month two young families we know have been dealt devastating blows. The kind of life changing obstacles that have a ripple affect...being felt and breaking the hearts of those who don't even know these people at all. These events have boggled my mind. They have made me think about how little control we have over our own lives. It's put into perspective just how BIG God is, just how small I am, and has reiterated for me the fact that the only thing I was put on this earth to do was to serve Him. Although I know that it is no great revelation to say that this life on earth is fleeting, sometimes things can happen that make that hit closer to home. It is times like these when earthly things (cars, clothes, money, etc) are shown for what they really are: nothing. And in these times the question above all is: "When all is said and done...what will my life have been?".
While I am so very sad for the families mentioned above, I am thankful for the ability to feel small. For in placing little importance on myself, I have the courage to make the decisions I need to make no matter how unpopular they might be with today's society. Because in the end it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks of me. The only judgment I should concern myself with is the one in the end. What if that were today?
Philippians 2:1-18

1 comment:

petunia said...

I searched "adoption" on blogger and your blog came up. I am a believer too, an adoptee and an adopted mom. We tried 12 years to have a biochild and adopted the baby God had for us all along. I love your post here---God is bigger than all of our plans. We must live our lives like He wants us to and His plan will just ....come. He is an awesome God! (I had to remind myself of that daily for twelve long years) -- hind-sight is 20/20