9.20.2007

Tomorrow

This comes out: Into the Wild
Hearing that and remembering this story took me back to the time when I read the book. I was in Atlantic City working at the Covenant House. I had a three year post-college plan. Americorps was part of it. Check. I would be finished with that in April. Perfect timing for what the next part of that three year plan was: thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail. At the time, I read anything I could get my hands on about hiking and camping. Thus, my picking up this book. This story, the story of Chris McCandless, is something I remember as vividly today as I did the day after I finished the book. Sean Penn's heart behind the film gives me hope that it will do the book justice.
I never did get to the next six months of that three year plan. I'm okay with that. One day I will. But this story...Into the Wild...I get it. Chris is a different kind of bird. A loner. I get that. I understand his world. His story ignites something within me. He knew what he wanted and what he believed in. He could not have cared less what other people thought. He lived his life by his own terms.
I admire that.
I aspire to stand that grounded in confidence of the person I am.

1 comment:

Scott said...

I am very much looking forward to the movie as well! Looks great, I will be interested to see what you think.